Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vintage Pencil Drawing of Crosley Field

This week's favorite thing.....Artwork by Floyd Berg.  Pencil Drawing of Crosley Field.  Crosley Field was home to the Cincinnati Reds from 1912 until 1970.  The ballpark was built on land used by the baseball team since 1884.  Originally named Redland Field, it was renamed Crosley Field in the 30's in honor of the teams new owner.  It was demolished in 1972.  American Ballpark was built for the Reds on a different site.  The old ballpark site now has a few buildings and a parking lot on it.  The drawing I found was by Cincinnati resident and known Artist Floyd Berg.  The picture shows the boys in action on the field, the fans in the seats, some cheering, and the Cincinnati skyline.  All very accurate, down to the signage and lighting.  The drawing was made in the 1960's.  750 prints were made.

7 comments:

  1. I grew up with the reds and saw many games. I can remember all these wonderful things about Crosley Field and the print that I have is perfect as I remember. I have a very special place where I hang it. I have a number of photos, prints, about Crosley Field but this print is by far the greatest. Thank you Mr.Berg. Tom Bauer an older fan of both the Reds and baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have this print, #486. Can you tell me the estimated value?? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to find one for my husband for his birthday in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Fairfield and I have #52 of 750 are you interested?

      Delete
  4. Hey I have one for your husband I’m willing to sell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I would love to give him one for his birthday. Sorry I haven’t checked back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will you share a photo of print

    ReplyDelete