Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Vintage Pinup Girl Lighter

My favorite find today......a lighter.  Did you know that there are lighter museums?  I had no idea until I started to try and research this piece.....never did find anything specific about it, but I did find hundreds of very cool lighters in my search.  

This particular one is marked 'Japan' and 'National'.  Features 4 pictures of a pinup girl.  I'm not sure if it's the same girl each time or not.  They are all brunettes and one image looks very much like the infamous Bettie Page.  Research leads me to wandering.....Bettie had an interesting life  - born in the 20's, mother was divorced, father molested her, she got a bachelor's degree, worked as a secretary, did the pinup thing, became 'born again', diagnosed schizophrenic - just interesting.  

While I learned all about Bettie Page, I couldn't find a thing on any company named 'National' that made lighters. 

Here's the lighter:


No comments:

Post a Comment