Monday, March 26, 2012

1983 Cabbage Patch Doll

Today's favorite thing is a 1983 Cabbage Patch Doll.  This one was an African American Preemie doll.  I'm not very old (31), but I'd completely forgotten about these dolls until I came upon this!
See this excerpt from Wikipedia:

"The Cabbage Patch Kids brand of products originally started as dolls called Little People, created by Xavier Roberts with the help of four women, and inspired by Tennessee artisan Martha Nelson.
The name change to Cabbage Patch Kids was instigated by Roger Schlaifer before he secured the worldwide licensing rights to "Little People", and was the basis of the story co-authored in 1982 by Roger and his wife, Susanne Nance Schlaifer. An abbreviated version of the story was reproduced on every Cabbage"

So this doll being from 1983 was from the beginning of the craze.  I was only 3 in 1983, but I still remember them being just as popular in the nineties.  Holding this doll, I also remembered being excited to get one doll in particular.  I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it came with a birth certificate and you had to put it in some warm water for the wrapper to dissolve and reveal the name and birthdate of the doll.  I just thought that was the coolest thing! 

Now if I could just come across some Garbage Pail Kids cards...that might be something I'd want to keep - a little more my style lol


No box for this doll, but still in fantastic shape with original clothes, diaper, and tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment