Thursday, March 22, 2012

World Map for the Radio Amateur

Tonight's post is about a map I got at auction.  It was entitled 'World Map for the Radio Amateur'.  It was a world map showing all the call letters for different countries used with HAM radio operators.  I'd forgotten that I even knew what amateur radio was until I saw this.  Made me flashback to a relative's house who had a big scanner setup in the back room.  So I looked in to amateur radio and it's quite the popular hobby.  You don't hear much about it (well at least I don't) but it dates all the way back to the early 1900's.  What I liked most about this map was being able to date it.  Just looking at the countries shown in Africa, Europe, and Asia, I could narrow it down to the late 70's based on what countries were and weren't there.  And the awesome Kenwood Corp. logo on it.  The map itself was in great condition - never been folded!  A neat piece that appealed to radio, map, and history enthusiasts.



7 comments:

  1. Beautiful map! So many memories from my early times as a radio amateur, back in Osorno (Chile)...
    Do you still have this map?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I on one of these maps and I'm wondering the value if anyone could get back to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola buenos dias. Tengo uno igual y quisiera saber su valor. Lo quiero poner en venta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Unknown, ¿todavía tienes el mapa? ¿en qué condición está? Si estás interesado en venderlo, por favor envíame un mensaje desde mi blog (click en mi nombre). Saludos!

      Delete